Winter Driving Tips - Part 2

  • Illinois law requires liability insurance on all licensed vehicles. Minimum limits ($25,000/$50,000 bodily injury an $15,000 property damage) are low. Be sure your liability insurance limits are high enough to protect your financial assets.
  • Illinois law does not require physical damage (comprehensive and collision) on vehicles, but lenders typically insist on it. Check comprehensive and collision deductibles as this is how much you must pay out-of-pocket if a loss occurs.
  • Un/underinsured motorist protection are bodily injury coverages that pay if you are in an accident with a driver that does not have insurance or has lower limits than your underinsured motorist coverage. UM and UIM do not pay for repairs to your vehicle.
  • Insurers offer a variety of endorsements to tailor coverage for individual needs. Among these: towing, rental car reimbursement, gap coverage, uninsured motorist property damage, new car replacement and custom equipment. Get in touch with a local auto insurance agent for cost and coverage details.
  • Periodically review your auto insurance policy to verify proper coverages, limits and add-ons. Check for correct information on address, drivers, vehicles, etc. Put a current insurance I.D. card in the vehicle glove box.
  • More than one driver can contribute to a crash under Illinois' comparative negligence law. Requesting damages from the other driver's insurance company is a third-party claim, and subject to terms and conditions of the other individual's policy. A claim with your company is subject to terms and conditions outlined in your policy.