Will uninsured motorist coverage pay vehicle repairs caused by an uninsured driver?

Auto policies are required by law to have uninsured motorist (UMBI) protection, but it provides bodily injury coverage for the insured driver and passengers. Uninsured motorist (UMBI) pays injury-related damages like medical bills, lost wages, or pain and suffering that you and your passengers have following a crash with an uninsured or hit and run driver. UMBI does not pay for damage to the insured vehicle.

There are two other uninsured motorist coverages in addition to UMBI. Underinsured motorist bodily injury (UIMBI) is available when liability limits are above the state minimum bodily injury limits ($25,000/$50,000). UIMBI pays if your crash-related injuries are more than the at-fault driver's bodily injury coverage. The amount of coverage available to you and your passengers is the difference between the other driver's bodily injury limit and your UIMBI limit. It is best to match UMBI and UIMBI coverage limits with your policy's bodily injury limits.

Uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD) is available as an add-on for vehicles without collision coverage. UMPD pays for repairs to your vehicle following a crash with an identified uninsured driver. The maximum amount available for UMPD is $20,000 per accident, and is subject to a $250 deductible.