Whose insurance pays when two cars back into each other in a parking lot?

Was your vehicle damaged in the backing accident? You can make a claim with your own auto insurance company if the vehicle has collision coverage and damages exceed your collision deductible. Filing the loss with your own insurer is called a 'first party' claim. This means the settlement is subject to terms outlined in your auto insurance contract. The claim may cause the insurer to take action on your policy in the future. You cannot file a liability claim with the other person's insurance company unless that driver is at least 51% at fault.

Follow these steps if you are in a parking lot accident:

  • Check for injuries.
  • Call 911 for medical assistance if necessary
  • Exchange insurance information with the other driver.
  • Get names and contact information for witnesses to the accident.
  • Take photos.
  • Report the incident to your insurer as soon as possible.
  • Make a crash report if damages exceed $1,500 and both parties have insurance. The threshold drops to $500 for an uninsured driver.