Do I need water backup coverage?

The sewer and drain water backup endorsement covers water damage to the dwelling and personal property from a sewer, drain or sup pump backup or overflow. This policy add-on is worth considering, especially if you have a finished basement.

Get in touch with your homeowners insurance agent for cost and coverage specifics. Limited protection is available, often $5,000 - $25,000. Sewer and drain water backup does not cover damage related to flooding, maintenance issues, or replacing or repairing a broken sump pump. Find out if the deductible matches the policy deductible or is a percent of the coverage limit.

Homeowners insurance policies also exclude damage from flood, surface water, and seepage. Coverage for these types of losses is available through a separate, stand-alone flood insurance policy. Contact a local agent about flood insurance, including price and coverage options.