Be safe on winter roadways - Part 2

Illinois law requires liability insurance on all licensed vehicles.

  • Minimum limits ($25,000/$50,000 bodily injury and $20,000 property damage) are low.
  • Be sure policy liability limits sufficiently protect your financial assets.

Illinois law does not require physical damage (comprehensive and collision), but lenders typically insist on it.

  • Verify the policy's comprehensive and collision deductibles, as this is how much you pay out-of-pocket if a loss occurs.

Uninsured and underinsured motorist protection are bodily injury coverages that pay if you are in an accident with an identified driver that does not have insurance or has lower limits than your underinsured motorist coverage.

  • U.M. and U.I.M. do not pay for repairs to your vehicle.
  • Consider uninsured motorist property damage coverage if you have a liability-only policy. U.M.P.D. pays for repairs to your car caused by an identified uninsured driver. A local agent can provide specifics on cost, coverage limit, and deductible.

Insurers offer a variety of endorsements to tailor coverage for individual needs. 

  • Towing, rental car reimbursement, gap coverage, new car replacement, and custom equipment are among the possibilities
  • Contact your local auto insurance agent to discuss additional coverage options.

Periodically review your auto insurance policy to verify proper coverages, limits, and policy details.

  • Check for correct information on address, drivers, vehicles, and lein holder as well.
  • Place a current insurance identification card in the vehicle glove box.

Be aware that more than one driver can contribute to a crash under Illinois' comparative negligence law.

  • Requesting damages from the other driver's insurance company is a third-party claim¬†subject to the terms and conditions of the other individual's policy.
  • A claim with your company is subject to the terms and conditions outlined in your policy.