Consider the following ideas to protect property from severe weather damage:
- Trim overhanging or weak branches that may fall on your home or other structures.
- Clean gutters, and check roof condition for signs of wear. Replace and repair as needed.
- Securely attach loose siding and shingles.
- Move patio furniture and outdoor equipment inside prior to the storm if possible. These items can become damaging projectiles.
- Install a sump pump, and make sure it is working properly.
- Place belongings stored in the basement inside sealed, plastic boxes. Keep these containers off the floor.
- Unplug the computer, television, and other electronics during the storm to avoid damage from a lightning-related power surge.